Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Recipe Review:: Hungry Girl's Crazy-Good Turkey Taco Meatloaf

Have you heard of Hungry Girl? Well, if you haven't, you should go check her out here! She's a girl that likes food and doesn't want to feel deprived of her nummy food so she has found ways to make super delish recipes in a low-fat/low-cal way.

I'll tell you straight out: I am an odd one - I LOVE meatloaf. I came across this HG recipe for a taco meatloaf and decided to give it a shot. It was really easy to make, didn't take a million years and tasted nummy. The only downfall I found was in reheating it. It was pretty dry in that area. My mother in law recommended I put some water in with it and cover with aluminum foil (I reheated in the oven) to help prevent that. I will certainly make it again!

I will say, I did stretch it and served myself 2 pieces and found that I was overly full since I also steamed some asparagus and ate that along with it. So 1 piece is sufficient as long as you eat something with it.


Hungry Girl's Crazy-Good Turkey Taco Meatloaf

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound raw extra-lean ground turkey
  • 2 slices fat-free cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup shredded fat-free cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup canned sweet corn kernels
  • 1/4 cup chopped green bell peppers
  • 1/4 cup chopped onions
  • 1/2 cup salsa
  • 1/2 packet of taco seasoning mix, dry

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  • Cook peppers and onions for 3 minutes over medium heat in a pan sprayed with nonstick spray.
  • In a largw bowl, combine onions and peppers with turkey, corn and seasoning mix. Spread half the mixture evenly into the bottom of a loaf pan sprayed with nonstick spray.
  • Layer the two slices of fat-free cheese on top of the mixture (try to keep if away from the pan's edges) Evenly top with the remaining meat mixture.
  • Pour the salsa over the top of the load. Cook in the oven for 30 minutes.
  • Top loaf with shredded cheese. Return loaf to the oven and cook for another 15 minutes.

Per serving (1/6th of loaf): 127 calories, 1g fat, 0.5g fiber

Points Value:: 3

No comments: