Monday, April 12, 2010

And we're off!

Ok, if I didn't lose you over the last week or so then you should know what I'm talking about when I ask if you remember me talking about starting the Couch to 5K (C25K) with Liz and a bunch of other cool people. Well, do you remember me talking about that? Would you believe that I kept my word and actually started today as I had planned?! I can't!
Now let me tell you - I have had the (old) podcasts for the C25K in my iPod for quite some time now (and when I say quite some time, I mean like 6+ months) with every intention of starting it and just never did. I had a newfound motivation to get my butt in gear when my friend Liz said she was going to start this and she was challenging other people to start it as well. I used to be a runner. Liz never has been. She is on a journey to do this, to accomplish this, to DEMOLISH this! She can do it and I think she knows that with all of us other bloggers behind her, she can push herself to do it too. Well Liz, I, too, accept your challenge!

Here is my first post about it.
  • Goal for the week: Finish week 1 without giving up. 
  • I have to say - this was easier than I expected it to be, but still a butt kicker. I honestly thought I would have stopped running before the minute of running was up, but I DID NOT!
  • I ran on an actual track and I found that when it was time to run and knowing that my run would end when I was about halfway around the track (from wherever I started) helped me to keep on running.
  • My butt hurts - a lot.
  •  I need help with knowing what to do about these damn shin splints. I've heard about them in running and coincidentally, I didn't get them while running, only while doing the walking in between.
  • My end goal is to also run the Liz Logelin Foundation 5k along with Liz and I'm sure many more!
I have to say - with the recommendation from my friend Missy to check out Carli's podcast, I am so happy I did. I LOVE IT! Thanks girl!

3 comments:

LutherLiz said...

I'm so proud of you! I'm thrilled that you are blogging again (I wish I'd realized earlier) and that you are going to do the challenge with me. Congratulations. Let's do a run together sometime to train!

Carli said...

You're Welcome, I can't wait to see all you bloggers on my 5K Wall of Fame! Good Luck.

Jess said...

Nice job on the C25K! Shin splints usually comes with weak calves. I honestly can't stress barefoot running enough (VIBRAMS!) but most people aren't comfortable with that. A lot of times, it could be your running shoes. If you're going to do some serious running, go get your gait checked out and see if you're over-pronated. They can help you find a shoe that's better for you. I've ditched running shoes though and am going to try running a 10K barefoot. It's your natural stride and I'm convinced that we only wear running shoes because Nike and all the shoe companies play on our fear of running "without support."

But I digress :) Keep it up with the running!