Monday, January 2, 2012

Recipe Review :: Gina's Skinny Recipes Lemon Blueberry Scones

I happened to stumble upon a new (to me) site that was chock full of tasty, healthy low-cal/low-fat meals and haven't been able to get off the dang site since. I have found so many recipes that I can make for my whole family, some that I can make just for myself and freeze leftovers and some that even just my husband and kids might like. The site is Gina's Skinny Recipes (Skinnytaste)

I absolutely love Caribou's lemon blueberry scone and get them any chance I have. Now that I am on Weight Watchers I can't just have one any old time, so I am in desperate need of finding a recipe I can enjoy enough to not crave the deliciousness from Caribou. I made these and they are incredibly tasty. My only complaint is that they taste a little too much like shortbread for my liking, but the cumbly-ness they have is perfect.

The recipe is actually for lemon cranberry scones, but I used blueberries instead (I have a supreme love for lemon blueberry baked goods) I've modified the recipe to reflect what I made. No nutritional value changed. You can see it on her site here. Since it is a lower point value for just the 1 item, I paired it with a Greek yogurt (my faves are Yoplait Greek and Chobani) and added a cup of coffee (with creamer and Splenda, of course)

Lemon Blueberry Scones

For perfect scones, be careful not to over-knead the dough and be sure your
butter is chilled. Leftovers can be stored in air-tight containers for up to two
days. I've tried these using all whole wheat flour but I prefer to use a blend of
whole wheat and white. Enjoy!


Lemon Blueberry Scones

  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice, divided
  • 1/2 cup low fat buttermilk (I didn't have buttermilk so I went the backup 
           way 1/2 tbsp of lemon juice, 1% milk to the 1/2 cup line)
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tbsp lemon zest
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 cups Ultra grain flour (or 1 cup white, 1 cup whole wheat) 
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 tbsp chilled butter (must be cold) cut into small pieces (I grated it 
          with a cheese grater)
  • 3/4 cup dried blueberries

Position rack in top third of oven; Preheat oven to 375°. Line baking sheet
with parchment paper. Make glaze by combining 2 tbsp sugar and 1 tbsp lemon
juice. Combine buttermilk, remaining lemon juice, sugar, lemon zest, vanilla,
and egg in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk.Combine flour, baking powder,
salt, in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Cut in chilled butter with a pastry
blender, or you could use 2 knives, until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
Gently fold in blueberries. Add buttermilk mixture, stirring just until moist.
(dough will be sticky)
Place dough onto a floured surface and knead lightly four times with floured
hands. Form dough into an 8-inch circle onto baking sheet, about 3/4" thick.
Using a knife, cut dough into 10 wedges (do not cut all the way through).
Brush lemon glaze over dough. Bake until golden, about 18-20 minutes, or
until a tester comes out clean. Serve warm or room temperature.

If you leave out the dried fruit, the scones are 4 points plus each.


Makes 10 servings


**Points Value - 4    
**Points+ Value - 5

No comments: