Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Step One!

So this is my very first post here. I have another blog, my personal, blog over here.


I had a baby boy, Parker, 4 weeks and 2 days ago (1 month ago - today!) and I am feeling ready to start losing some weight. I have two rounds of baby weight - plus some - to lose! I topped the scales at 242 pounds. That's how much I weighed when I went in to deliver Parker. I am currently sitting at (yes, I am actually going to post my REAL weight on here!) 225 pounds.

  • The goal I am setting for myself is 65 pounds, which will drop the scale down to 160 pounds. This is a very healthy, realistic goal that I know I can meet! If I lose more, that's wonderful, but I'm not setting a goal of losing more...yet! The ideal weight for my height (5'7") is 145. I weighed that much in high school. I am not one of those people that has to be at my high school weight to feel like I have finally done it, thankfully.
  • I was going to use Weight Watchers but with making lots of home cooked meals from scratch, I don't know how to calculate the points. So I will just watch my intake of foods and track in other ways.
  • I will do a weekly weigh in here.
  • I plan on exercising at home. No joining a gym for me. It's too expensive and I can do it right here at home for free! First off I am starting with the Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds series. What you do with these videos is walk..at home! The first dvd is 1 mile, the second is 2 miles and so on up to 5 miles. I am very excited to do this. I would walk out in the real world but I don't have a double stroller. Maybe when I buy one I can start walking outside. (That could be a while though - when you are unpaid maternity leave it leaves your pocket a little low on change!) I will add some more workout dvds into this too. I will probably walk daily and do a workout dvd every other day or so. We'll see how I feel, but for now, it's just the walking.
You know, I had this motivation to lose weight before Parker was even born, it got stronger after he was born and this morning, I got the HUGE push on the back that I needed. I was looking at my friend, Whitney's pictures on Facebook last night. She uploaded some pics of her and her husband, Justin (which both had worked at Best Buy with me a few years back) Justin was a husky guy when I met him in the summer of 2004 (I met him when I was going to David's Best Buy softball games). After I started working there, it seemed he had gained more weight. By the time I left in August 2006 he was up quite a few pounds. The pictures Whitney uploaded showed a slimmer, healthier, happier looking Justin. I commented on the pictures talking about how great Justin looked. She commented back stating he had lost 85 pounds since January. I couldn't help but to be amazed and so happy for him! I sent him a message congratulating him and telling him how good he looked! He said he started off with a goal of 35-40 pounds and thought to himself 'Go big or go home!' (spoken like a TRUE Best Buy employee if I ever knew one - LOL!) and he's glad he did because he feels great! After reading that, I felt different. I can't explain it, but it's almost like it was me feeling like it was my turn, it's my time. I deserve to feel healthy and happy. My children and husband deserve it, too! I feel like it's for real this time. If he can do it, I can do it!
I was so gung-ho about this, I actually got breakfast together for Graycen and then fed and changed Parker. I put my workout clothes and tennis shoes on! I felt great. I started and finished mile one of the series. Sure, it's only 18 minutes, but hey, can you say you walked a mile today? I can!

12 comments:

Kristie said...

Good for you. I really like it that you created a totally seperate blog for this, great idea!

Monkeymama said...

Good job!

I like the idea of a 2nd blog. My birthday is in a couple weeks and I had actually been thinking of setting up a 2nd blog for accountability and starting right after my birthday, but hadn't decided if it would be linked to my other blog or not. :)

You'll have to let us know what you think of those DVDs. I was looking at them at Target last week.

Keep up the good work!

Katie Osborn said...

How exciting! I have been having a harder time this summer just sticking with my routine, but my life is completely changed because of the healthy lifestyle changes I have made! I don't have to feel guilty about eating a cookie now, because before I'd eat four or five! I think 160 is a great goal! My goal was 140, and I am also tall (between 5'7 and 5'8), and my body really isn't letting me lose any more weight so I am happy at 150, which is where I am at now! I just want to tone up and continue with my healthy lifestyle!

Weight watchers is great, but does take some practice if you are cooking a lot. However, I cook a lot and pay the $16.95 a month to do WW online, and you get etools that help you to calculate the points for you. You just add the ingredients and how many servings (kind of like spark people, but it also tells you the points).

Mom has Leslie's walk away the pounds 4 mile DVD and she talked me into doing it with her one day. I kind of laughed because walking 4 miles doesn't seem too tough when I am a jogger now...but let me tell you it was a tough workout!! I hope you like it! Her voice reminds us of Stewart's mom on Mad TV though...kind of annoying!! GOOD LUCK!!!!

Soupy said...

Good for you!!
I use sparkpeople.com online to help myself keep track of all my calories I take in and the amount of exercise I do. I also have a "net calories" deficit worksheet I can share w/you, and explain to you about how much you need to eat and burn to lose weight.....carriecampbell@gmail.com if you are interested.
I also love the cookbook "the Hungery Girl" by Lisa Lillien- for LOW CALORIES yummy ideas, just an idea!
GOOD LUCK i am rooting for you!

Emily said...

Good for you! I love the Comcast ondemand exercise shows. It mixes things up to avoid boredom and is free (minus the cost of cable). I love the Biggest Loser shows. They are only 25 min. and totally kick my ass. I also walk everyday (30 min. in the morning and occasionally at night). I dropped all of the baby weight plus 20lbs within 2 months with reasonable exercise and watching my portions. Hopefully you can get a double stroller soon!

Anti-Supermom said...

I think that it is so brave of you (and Missy) to do this so publicly, I personally would have a hard time with this. I'm already proud of you, keep going!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristine... I alternate between Leslie's "4 Fast Miles" and "Walk Away Your Waist (3 miles)" DVD. I really enjoy them! Of all the work outs I have done, my Body Bugg aways claims that walking/jogging burns the most calories per minute.
If I can lose 70+ pounds, you can do it too! :-)

Jeni said...

Congrats to you on being so motivated! 65 pounds is completely doable, it's actually the exact number I lost from my kiddo. It seems big to start but once you get started the results are all the more motivating. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Kristine!! Way to go! I personally started my own weight loss/health journey about 4 months ago... and am having TONS of success!! I've lost about 20 pounds since then. Check out this awesome website I used called www.sparkpeople.com
It lets you create your own workout, and you're completely able to do it on your own! I'm routing for ya!! :)

Rebecca said...

You go, girl! We will all be your weight-loss doulas! I can't believe that guy has lost 85 pounds since January. I think that's a male thing. Women tend to take more time, which is OK.

I have one tip. It's a bit personal, so feel free to ignore it if it's not right for you. Here is it: If you are breastfeeding Parker, continue to do so. We put on body fat when pregnant to support our babies both before AND after they are born. The fat storage is designed to help support milk production. If you don't use it, it'll stay as storage, and you'll have to "use" it another way (exercise). Consider each breastfeeding session to be a calorie-burning "workout."

People often roll their eyes at me when I talk about weight loss. What does a skinny b*%ch know about this, right? Well, I am the smallest I have ever been - after two children! I swear that breastfeeding and maintaining a regular exercise routine is what has done that.

BTW - I love the ticker on this blog. Now THAT is a ticker I can get behind! :)

Rebecca said...

Pure coincidence - I just saw this on another blog:
http://www.vahealth.org/wic/bfwic/BreastfeedingPromotion/vbs-0006B.mpg

Marketing Mama said...

awesome, Kristine, you totally rock. You are going to do so great, I totally know it. :)